Holmbush Estate has been in the same family for over 150 years, and would have originally been comprised several smaller farms, namely Shelly Farm, Buchan Hill, Black Hill Farm, Hopper Farm, Upper and Lower Bewbush Farms, Kiln-wood Farm, Carylls Farm and Holmbush itself. The forest forms a large part of St. Leonard’s Forest, where legend has it the last dragon in Britain was slain.
The collection of buildings that most people know today as Holmbush Farm was originally known as the Home Farm and would have served the main house – Holmbush House, a Grade II listed house was originally commissioned by the piano maker Thomas Broadwood, and construction started in 1824.
The old sandstone farm buildings, which used to be bull pens, cowsheds, grain storage, and old workshops, eventually became small for modern farm machinery, and in 1988 were converted into 12 industrial units. They now house a wide variety of companies, including surveyors, caterers, an IT firm, a gun-shop, removals companies, a pest-control firms, amongst others, taking advantage of it’s rural, yet convenient, location on the A264 between Horsham and Crawley.